Skip to content

Paying for repairs and lost items

When you let us know about any damage caused by you, your visitors, or other residents, we'll promptly address the repairs in line with our Repairs and Maintenance process.

Recharging tenants

Determining whether you are liable to pay for the repair expenses will be done on a case-by-case basis. If we do determine that you need to cover the costs, we'll have a discussion with you and provide evidence of the costs involved.

We understand that damages caused by visitors can sometimes be unavoidable, despite your best efforts to prevent them. In such cases, we recognize your diligence, and we may choose to waive the repair costs.

We want to ensure that the financial impact is manageable for you. That's why we'll work together to establish a formal agreement and a reasonable payment plan.

While we hope it doesn't come to this, if you refuse to compensate us for the repair costs, we may need to issue you a Breach of Duty Notice. Our intention is always to find a mutually beneficial solution, but if the issue continues, we may apply for a Compensation Order at the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). The Breach of Duty Notice is a formal way of letting you know that you have not fulfilled your legal responsibilities. The Compensation Order gives us the authority to order you to pay for the cost of the repairs. 

Replacing lost keys

When you move into your new home, we'll give you a free set of keys and/or security swipe cards. However, if you happen to lose your keys or security device, there will be a reasonable fee to replace them.

Serious or malicious damage

We understand that accidents can happen, and we strive to address issues in a fair and reasonable manner. However, intentionally damaging your home poses a threat to the safety and well-being of yourself and others residing in the property. It also undermines the integrity of the living environment for all tenants.

If you intentionally and significantly damage your home, we may ask that you move out of the property. This is known as a Notice to Vacate, and it is only utilized as a last resort. This formal document serves as a legal notice requiring you to leave the property within a specified timeframe. The timeframe for you to vacate will depend on the extent and severity of the damage caused.

Please read our Evictions page for more information about notices to vacate a property.

Outstanding debt from a former tenancy

If you were a previous tenant with MCM Housing and you have an outstanding debt for damages, we may request that you enter into a repayment agreement as a condition for re-entering a tenancy or rooming house agreement with us. However, we have the discretion to waive this requirement if it’s determined that repaying the debt would cause significant financial hardship for you.

Application process

Need help?

If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to support you throughout the tenancy process.

Back to top