Skip to content
Young female teenager with straight long black hair sitting on her bed

Transfer to another property

If your household situation changes or your home is no longer suitable for your needs, you might be able to transfer to a different community housing property.

Eligibility for a transfer

We want to make sure you have options that suit your needs. You may be able to apply for a transfer to another property if:

  • Your household situation changes. 
  • Your current home is no longer suitable for your needs.

If you have an urgent housing need, you may also be able to apply for a priority transfer on the Victorian Housing Register (VHR). Urgent housing needs can include situations like family violence, medical reasons, or over occupancy.

To be eligible for a transfer, you need to meet the criteria set by the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH). This includes criteria for income and assets.

You can find the eligibility criteria on the Victorian Housing Register website.

We may also consider a tenant transfer based on other program eligibility. For more details, please refer to the Eligibility page.  

Applying for a transfer

If you want to apply for a transfer, you need to complete a VHR transfer application and provide supporting evidence. You can do this online through a myGov account or visit a DFFH office.

We don't assess transfer applications but we can help you access the application. Once you're approved for a transfer on the VHR, you may be offered properties from MCMH, DFFH, or other community housing organizations based on your preferences in the application.

Management transfers

In some circumstances, we might initiate a tenant transfer for management purposes. This could happen when a property is being sold or redeveloped, when the lease with a private landlord ends, or for other specific reasons. If this occurs, we'll support you to initiate a transfer on the VHR.

Tenant succession

We understand that things can change for tenants and their families, and we want to help during those times and ensure living situations are not an additional source of stress.

If a tenant passes away or leaves the property, we usually allow their partner or family member to take over the tenancy. We consider factors like how long they lived there, if anyone in the household owns other properties, the requirements they need to meet, and any specific program rules. Our goal is to make the transition as smooth as possible and offer support when needed.

Our management team may consider succession under other circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Just remember that residents of rooming houses can't transfer their rights to someone else.

Application process

Need help?

If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to support you throughout the tenancy process.

Back to top